Monday, February 18, 2008

My Linux Journey

So last time i did write my blog was long time back, so u guys may think i am quite lazy as i mentioned in my last post. Well Things have been going on and i pretty much mean it, they have just been going on and i am trying my best to fit myself in :-)

More specifically, my computer had a strange motherboard dysfunction which even my vendor couldn't find out, but eventually my machine booted after 4 months of continuous boot failure. This eventually led to me unable to update my blog (which is though rarely updated :P ) and i became more of a social animal ( for which my mother always scolds me that i am not :D

Anyways, coming back to the point after almost 6 months of refraining from Linux and one month of boring windows usage, i decided to restart my Linux journey and this time be more daring. Shifting from OpenSuSe to Slackware 12.0 was my instant decision. I also had long been thinking of installing Gentoo from stage 1 which i finally decided to try out.

Slackware has been an instant hit with me and i am kind of falling in love with it. Its extremely stable though a little cumbersome in configuration and installation ( which i think SuSe has oversimplified and taken away the essence of using Linux ). Using the lightweight Xfce4 had almost instantaneous implications of being not resource hungry and giving a smooth operation on my machine which by todays standard is almost outdated.

Update on Gentoo: I am almost done with Gentoo compilation. Building the Linux kernel for the first time was though somewhat confusing but with the wealth of information provided by Gentoo wiki and my friend to back me up it went smooth with one or two minor problems which got sorted out soon. Right now i am building a custom kde rather than those shipped as a default and this has led to one more night out for me( though this is not the only reason for night out :-)

ps: I thought i would be able to build kdebase in the time when i write this blog and put some other things to compilation before i go to sleep. seems like that wont be the case.
saying you people gudnite at 8:30 am ;-)

No comments: